Alliance Manchester Business School logo

Online Undergraduate Handbook

Support for international students

Failed to load licensing components. Please Repair / Re-Install Porto . DO NOT UNINSTALL MODULE!

In addition to learning new skills, international/overseas students face the challenge of learning to live in a different society. Problems of communication are frequent. Occasionally the distance from home can lead to acute personal or financial problems. The School wants all students to be free to study without these challenges. If you have a problem the first thing to do is see the Student Support staff in the Assessment and Student Support Centre or your Academic Advisor, at the earliest opportunity.

The Assessment and Student Support Centre is based in Alliance MBS room 2.091. The office is open to students to either drop in or by appointment:

Contact Details

The email address is:

Telephone: 0161 306 3502


The staff of the Student Support and Guidance Team are:

Rashida Timol, Manager

Tel: 0161 306 3453


Kaz Naseem, Senior Student Support Officer

Tel: 0161 306 8989


Nula Mathers, Student Support Officer

Tel: 0161 275 7377


TBC, Senior Student Support Officer (Academic Advising)


Tel: 0161 306 1331

Gary Halliwell Student Support Assistant

Tel:  0161 275 0787


We hope that you will enjoy your time at the University of Manchester, but please be assured that the School will try to assist you if you have any problems.

There is no need to feel isolated. The Students' Union has societies catering for most international students. In addition the International Society aims to draw together all nationalities on a social basis.

The University's International Advice Team


The University's International Advice Team, based in the Student Services Centre, provides support to all international students who are studying at the University of Manchester. Advice and information are offered in a variety of areas, including immigration issues, accommodation issues, work permits, finance and funding, English Language courses, and academic and personal problems.

Appointments with advisers are available.  To meet with one of the advisers contact:

Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 5000


Location: Student Services Centre 

You will need your student registration number (on your student id card) when you telephone or visit Student Services. If you are e-mailing, please quote your student registration number on all correspondence. 

All discussions are strictly confidential and no information will be disclosed without your consent unless there is a legal obligation for us to do so.


English Language requirements


All teaching on Alliance MBS undergraduate programmes takes place in the English language. There are no facilities for the presentation of teaching material or tutorials in any language other than English. All students are therefore expected to have attained a sufficient standard in English to enable them to understand the teaching material and to be able to effectively communicate with others.

If, at any time, you are at all concerned about the standard of your English, in particular if you think it will hinder your progress on the programme, you should discuss this with the Student Support and Guidance Team or your Academic Advisor.

Language Support for International Students 

Up-to-date information on the University Language Centre's academic support programmes for international students is now available on their website. This provision is free of charge to the student.

University Language Centre

English Language Proficiency Testing Service

In order to register for in-sessional courses, students complete an English language proficiency test at which point they become formally registered for the programme. There is no need to pre-book a test; students simply need to present themselves at the test sitting of their choice. 

English Language Proficiency Testing Service

In-sessional courses

Once students have collected their results - and if they have received a recommendation to attend in-sessional courses - they will need to join one of the classes that commence in October. Students should complete a proficiency test in order to register for in-sessional courses.

Further information on in-sessional courses

Academic Writing Tutorial Service

The academic writing tutorial service resumes during the week beginning October.

Academic Writing Tutorial Service 

Visiting or exchange students may use their own foreign language/English translation dictionary in examinations. Please note that the above concession applies only to students who are visiting or on exchange with us as part of their programme in an overseas institution. International students who are studying for a University of Manchester degree will not be able to take any form of dictionary into examinations.

The University of Manchester International Society

This Society, founded in 1966, is a social, cultural and welfare centre for the many international students in the University. A comprehensive programme of social activities and visits is organised each semester. Overseas students are advised to obtain a copy of the programme on arrival and are welcome to consult the Society for help and advice. British and Overseas students and staff are all equally welcome. Activities are also organised for spouses and families of overseas students.

Contact details are as follows:

The International Society

Ground Floor Students' Union Building

Tel. 0161 275 4959


International Society

Financial problems

Financial problems can arise unexpectedly. If you are in a hall of residence you should inform the Warden if this is likely to affect your ability to pay hall fees on time. You should always tell your Academic Advisor or the Assessment and Student Support Centre. The University runs an “Access to Learning” fund for genuine cases of personal hardship and you might be eligible to receive money from this. You may be eligible for certain bursaries and grants, for example the Mountbatten Memorial Grants to Commonwealth Students. Contact the Student Services Centre Burlington Street, tel. 0161 275 5000 for information and advice.

The University also has a Money Advisor who is available to provide specialist money advice and information for all students at the University of Manchester.  For contact details please click here